slocate doesn't

Michael Johnson mjohnson at coderyte.com
Sun Apr 16 16:27:38 UTC 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 1:05 PM, inode0 wrote:

> On 4/15/06, Michael Johnson <mjohnson at coderyte.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2006, at 12:36 PM, inode0 wrote:
>>> Post the contents of /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron and
>>> /etc/updatedb.conf please. I'm guessing from your earlier post that
>>> slocate.cron is fouled up.
>>
>> Even so, manually running updatedb should give me some sort of output
>> when I run locate filename.
>>
>> [mjohnson at vader ~]$ cat /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron
>> #!/bin/sh
>> renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
>> #/usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e "/"
>> /usr/bin/updatedb -f "proc,devpts"
>> [mjohnson at vader ~]$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
>> DAILY_UPDATE="yes"
>> PRUNEFS="devpts NFS nfs afs sfs proc smbfs autofs auto iso9660"
>> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /net /sfs"
>> export PRUNEFS
>> export PRUNEPATHS
>
> This is an RHEL3 box, right? Here is what mine contain on RHEL3
> systems.

RHEL3, yes.

> # cat /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron
> #!/bin/sh
> renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
> /usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e
> "/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net"
>
> # cat /etc/updatedb.conf
> PRUNEFS="devpts NFS nfs afs sfs proc smbfs autofs auto iso9660"
> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /net /sfs"
> export PRUNEFS
> export PRUNEPATHS
>
> Other things you might check. Anything in /var/lib/slocate/?
> What does "rpm -V slocate" return?

After re-entering the slocate.cron and updatedb.conf it works.  There
may have been a stray crlf or space or something in there.
Nevertheless, it works now.  Thanks for the help.

-Michael

|   Michael Johnson          |   Sr. Systems Engineer     |
|   mjohnson at coderyte.com    |   CodeRyte                 |
|   +1-301-951-5315          |   http://www.coderyte.com/ |