Sharing SCSI tape drives

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Wed Apr 19 21:26:39 UTC 2006

Larry:

	I believe you need to be on the machine where the actual hardware
resides.  From there, you can make NFS mounts of file systems on the "naked"
boxes and back them up from there.  I don't think you can control hardware
indirectly the way you're attempting.

	Various commercial products utilize agent programs that talk to a
server based program, using TCP/IP socket level communications.  In those
situations, you can back up other machines, in many cases even across
operating systems, via client agents and server daemon programs that monitor
communications.

Scully