Configure mail cmd to use specific server

How can i configure the mail command to use a specific SMTP server (exchange
server in this case). I have a RHEL 3 machine which I do not run the
sendmail daemon, however I can write perl scripts and use other mail clients
to use a specified smtp server and successfully send mail. How can I get the
mail or mailx commands to do the same thing?

Thanks