Problem after migrating samba domain PDC from RHEL3 to RHEL4

Zhi-Wei Lu zwlu at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 1 04:40:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have recently migrated  my samba PDC from RHEL 3/i386 to a new server
with RHEL 4/x86_64.  Sadly, after the upgrade, my samba server failed
to work
properly, nmbd stop to answer even though the damon stays on most of
the time,
it did died a few times during my debug sessions.  I am using simple
smbpasswd
passdb backend.

I see such a line in my nmbd log file.

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast):
0x000000552ad03fd0 ***
after that nmbd stop working even though it is still in the process
table.

The smbd seems to be okay, as it authenticate Windows users on my
domain,
but, I just could not connect to other samba file server as the nmbd
on PDC
dies after a few minutes. The other samba member servers could not
talk to
the PDC,
"net rpc join" will fail most of the time (works only when nmbd on
PDC is alive briefly)
"net rpc join -S PDC"  always workson .

During the migration, I simple moved /etc/samba directory from the
old machine,
did I make some major errors by simply doing that?  Anyway, I will
appreciate to
hear some words of wisdom.  Thank you.

Zhi-Wei Lu
Institue for Data Analysis and Visualization (IDAV)
UC Davis                     Phone:    (530) 752-0494
Davis, CA 95616        Fax:         (530) 752-8894