Problem with client authentication with X Server

DGeorgie at wiley.com DGeorgie at wiley.com
Thu Aug 10 15:27:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are running J2EE application using local X Server to draw some images.
The problem is that X Server is using magic cookies to authenticate X
clients. On some occasions the magic cookie is invalidated and then the
application cannot communicate with the X Server. In man pages for xauth I
found that the cookie could time out. The default is 60 seconds. Our app
could be down for maintenance longer than a minute so that explains why
the cookie gets invalidated. When that happens the only thing we can do is
to restart X Server first and then our app to resolve the connection
problem.

Since our app is the only X client on the server I think it make sense to
switch to host authentication for  X Server. How do I configure X Server
to use host authentication?

f you think magic cookies are still better solution for X Server
authentication please let me know how could we prevent their invalidation?
I tried to use xauth to regenerate the cookies for the localhost display
but with no success.
xauth> generate :0 . trusted
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xauth: (stdin):8:  unable to open display ":0".

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Unfortunately I was not able to find enough information on this topic, and
the man pages don't help much.

Thanks,

Dimitar