script to turn off services

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Aug 17 10:45:11 UTC 2006

Not to be argumentative, but:

Since when does "service <servicename> status" give anything different
than "/etc/init.d/<servicename> status"?

It certainly doesn't, on my system:

[root at burgers ~]# service dansguardian status
Parent DansGuardian pid:3379
[root at burgers ~]# /etc/init.d/dansguardian status
Parent DansGuardian pid:3379
[root at burgers ~]# service dovecot status
dovecot (pid 3081) is running...
[root at burgers ~]# /etc/init.d/dovecot status
dovecot (pid 3081) is running...
[root at burgers ~]# service bluetooth status
hcid is stopped
sdpd is stopped
hidd is stopped
[root at burgers ~]# /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
hcid is stopped
sdpd is stopped
hidd is stopped

On Wed, August 16, 2006 1:42 pm, Wayne Pinette wrote:
> rather than use service <servicename>  I would use
> /etc/init.d/<servicename> status
>

> try /etc/init.d/bluetooth status.  That usually gives you back a string
> which tells you if it is running or not.
>
> Then you can call /etc/init.d/bluetooth stop  and chkconfig bluetooth
> off
>
> But I  kind of agree with the other guy about not bothering to check
> cause turning something off thats already off isn't an evil thing.
>
> Wayner

> On 8/16/06, Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil> wrote:
>> I am trying to write a script that will turn off unneeded services,
> but I am not
>> having any luck. I have tried the following:
>>

>> service bluetooth status > /dev/null 2>&1
>> EXITVALUE=$?
>> if [ $EXITVALUE == 0 ]; then
>>     service bluetooth stop
>>     chkconfig --level 345 bluetooth off
>> fi
>>

>> This works if bluetooth is not installed, but not if it IS installed
> and already
>> turned off. In that case, the service command returns zero and the if
> block is
>> executed.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to modify this script so that it will run (or
> tell me where
>> I can learn how to modify it)?
>
> Why do you care what state it is in if you know you want it off?
> Doesn't something simple (albeit parts may be unnecessary but
> shouldn't cause any harm) like
>
> for u in "list of unneeded services"; do
>   service $u stop
>   chkconfig $u off
> done
>
> work ok?
>
> John

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit