re Subject: install from usb key? (Slightly OT)

bob flynn bob.flynn at s3group.com
Fri Aug 25 10:50:17 UTC 2006

Try this,

format and mount the usb disk. e.g. /media/usbdisk  Note the disk is
formated as ext2 or ext3 as there are softlinks being used.

   2. make a directory "/boot" at the base of the disk

As with a normal system disk, the boot partition can be on a separate
partition or on the main partition.

   3. copy /boot/message* from your system into /media/usbdisk/boot/

   4. create the subdirectory grub (e.g. /media/usbdisk/boot/grub)

   copy the splash file, and the *stage1_5 files from /boot/grub to this
directory. create the soft link menu.lst -> ./grub.conf
   (just as in the original directory --> might not be necessary, ie if
the filesystem does not support linking)

   5. create your grub.conf. You can start with the one from your
      original system, and modify the entries.

   6. FOR EACH BOOTABLE ENTRY --> you will need an appropriate "initrd" and

   kernel, and a number of other files. This is obtained by mounting a boot
   disc1, or a boot.iso for the distribution kernel you wish to boot, and
   then copying the isolinux directory into a directory under /boot on
   the usb disk.

   Something like this. e.g. let's say that you wish to boot a RHEL4, U2
   environment. grab the RHEL4-U2 disc 1 (or boot iso) and do the following.

      mkdir /media/usbdisk/boot/isolinux-RHEL4U2
      mount -ro /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
      rsync -av /media/isolinux/ /media/usbdisk/boot/isolinux-RHEL4U2/
      umount /media/cdrom

   7. Your grub entries will look something like this:

   title <YOUR TITLE>
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/isolinux-RHEL4U2/vmlinuz U2 ramdisk_size=8192
ks=hd:sda1:station13-ks-U2.cfg
        initrd /boot/isolinux-RHEL4U2/initrd.img

   notes:

   1.      the root needs to point at the partition with /boot on it.
   2.     kernel and initrd are relative to "root"
   3.     the above example has the ks files in teh base directory of
      the designated partition.

   For simplicity, I setup my usb without a separate /boot partition (i.e.
   boot is a subdirectory on the main partition of the usb.)

   8. actually making the usb bootable!!!

        stick the usb disk into a usb slot. unplug all other usb devices
        run grub manually

        grub
        > root (hd1,0) (you can use tab completion)
        > setup (hd1)

I put this together from various sources ( which I don't have to hand to
credit ) and this works.

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications at s3group.com.
Thank You.