samba / UNIX password sync

Matthijs.Sneijders at corusgroup.com Matthijs.Sneijders at corusgroup.com
Wed Aug 30 09:45:04 UTC 2006

you might want to consider a slightly different approach to your setup,

-use pam_smb to authenticate users on your linux system using the windows
user database
-use nss  (/etc/nsswitch.conf)  to get userinformation from files/nis) You
still need the windows usernames available in passwd/nis
      for information like homefolder/shell/uid/gid

in smb.conf use server or domain security.  (domain is better but samba
must join the domain first)
this enables samba to authenticate incoming connections using the windows
user database

This way, all authentication is done using windows accounts,  no password
sync is needed anymore!

 Matthijs Sneijders

     CORUS
     Research,
     Development
     &
     Technology

     Building
     3G16 room
     3-312

     P.O. Box
     10.000

     1970 CA
     IJMUIDEN

     phone       +31 (0)251-496400

     fax         +31 (0)251-470064

     mail        matthijs.sneijders at corusgroup.com

|         |           "Vladimir Kosovac" |
|         |           <vkosovac at gmail.com|
|         |           >                  |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           redhat-list-bounces|
|         |           @redhat.com        |
|         |           30-08-2006 01:14   |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           General Red Hat    |
|         |           Linux discussion   |
|         |           list               |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                   |
  |       To:       redhat-list at redhat.com                                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                         |
  |       Subject:  samba / UNIX password sync                                                                        |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi all.

I am running very old version of samba (2.2.7) and cannot upgrade just yet,
must make this work as it is (if possible).

After playing a bit with pam modules, I got first part of what I want to do
going - windows user is able to change domain password from windows.
However, this change never gets synced to Linux password, although (I
think)
configuration is OK. Can someone give me some pointers to what else I need
to look at? Current relevant config is:

Server: Red Hat 7.1 / samba-2.2.7-2.7.2 (compiled from RH source with some
extra options, --with pam-smb_passwd included)
Client: Windows 2000 / some XP

#/etc/pam.d/samba
#%PAM-1.0
# The PAM configuration file for the `samba' service
#
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nodelay
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so audit nodelay
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nodelay
password   required     /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nodelay
smbconf=/etc/samba/smb.conf

#/etc/samba/smb.conf
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
pam password change = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes

What am I missing? Help appreciated,

Vladimir

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.