install from usb key? (Slightly OT)

Matthijs.Sneijders at corusgroup.com Matthijs.Sneijders at corusgroup.com
Fri Aug 25 06:41:33 UTC 2006

I use loadlin for this purpose,
make the stick bootable with ms-dos version 6.x
use the config.sys menu to make the various boot options and
use loadlin in autoexec.bat to boot from your bootdisk images.

 Matthijs Sneijders

    CORUS
    Research,
    Development
    &
    Technology

    Building
    3G16 room
    3-312

    P.O. Box
    10.000

    1970 CA
    IJMUIDEN

    phone       +31 (0)251-496400

    fax         +31 (0)251-470064

    mail        matthijs.sneijders at corusgroup.com

                      "Furnish, Trever G"
                      <TGFurnish at herffjon        To:       <redhat-list at redhat.com>
                      es.com>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  install from usb key? (Slightly OT)
                      redhat-list-bounces
                      @redhat.com

                      24-08-2006 17:22
                      Please respond to
                      General Red Hat
                      Linux discussion
                      list

I have an 8GB usb key.  I'd like to be able to do an automated install
of RHEL4 from it.  But I'd also like to boot other ISOs from it as well.
Anyone have any ideas or pointers even for where to start looking for
info on doing that?

Note, I already know how to build a custom kickstart CD -- that's not
what I need help with.

I'm looking for a way to put multiple, completely unrelated ISO images
on a single USB key and then have a boot-loader that lets me choose
between them, then boot from them as though the CD was in the drive.

For example, here are possible ISO images and floppy disk images I would
like to store on the USB key and boot from:

- custom kickstart iso image to do an automated install of redhat
- per-server boot floppy image (as produced using mkbootdisk)
- SystemRescueCD iso image (http://www.sysresccd.org)
- msdos floppy disk image to boot memtestx86
- "Ultimate Bood CD for Windows" (http://www.ubcd4win.com)

So basicly I need some way to select from among multiple boot sectors
(grub would probably be fine) and some way to determine those boot
sectors (this is where i'm lost).

Any ideas?

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.