Unlocking user accounts in PAM

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Tue Dec 19 00:01:36 UTC 2006

I am attempting to lock user accounts after 5 failed login attempts.  I
have been successful in doing that using PAM.  The documented method for
unlocking the user accounts is by using faillog (or pam_tally command).
This works, too.  Now, the next question, is there a methodology of
unlocking the user account(s) using some sort of timer?  I would prefer
not to use cron.

BTW, there appears to be an option on faillog, -l locksecs, that
displays on the command usage display, but I am not finding
documentation on that option.  Is this the answer to my question?

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information