RedHat 9 upgrade

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Wed Dec 20 02:45:34 UTC 2006

> I've been using RedHat 9 for a while and am a total convert to linux -
> however RedHat 9 is getting a bit 'tired' and I'd like to upgrade. But
> I've looked at RH Enterprise WS and it seems a bit expensive at $179
> (approx 100 GBP) compared to some other distros (eg SUSE 10). Any
> suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated - thanks.

I recommend CentOS <http://www.centos.org>  CentOS takes the SRPMs from
RHEL and follows Red Hat's guidelines for redistribution.  The user
community is great.  The distro is free, and they provide updates to their
distribution as long as Red Hat provides updates.  They also have some
extra repositories with newer/different things to add i.e. newer versions
of PHP, MySQL .. as well as enhanced kernels, etc.

Barry