how to setup the squid server

tamer amr tamer_linux at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 14:43:30 UTC 2006

i made which you said but when i started th squid  i found the following error

init_cache_dir /var/spool/squid... /etc/init.d/squid: line 54:  1705 Aborted                 $SQUID -z -F -D >>/var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1
 Starting squid: /etc/init.d/squid: line 53:  1706 Aborted                 $SQUID $SQUID_OPTS >>/var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1
                                                            [FAILED]

John O'Loughlin <j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi

also, in the file /etc/squid/squid.conf under the acl section you will
find:

# INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS

# Example rule allowing access from your local networks. Adapt
# to list your (internal) IP networks from where browsing should
# be allowed
#acl our_networks src 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24
#http_access allow our_networks

You need to unhash the last two lines and then set the IP range to match
you network, so it may be:

acl our_networks src 192.168.2.0/24
http_access allow our_networks

for example

squid will then accept connections from hosts with IP addresses in that
range.

John