ES or Fedora

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Dec 28 18:30:39 UTC 2006

Quoting Robert Canary <rwcanary at ocdirect.net>:

> Weeeeellll, these will be production systems.  I have been doing Linux
> and Unix flavors long enough I really don't need the "Hand-Holdng" tech
> support.  However, I'm interested in having a support network for
> updating RPMS when there is security issues.  And I do like being able
> add a package via up2date and it also collecting the dependant RPMs as
> well.

A free RHEL clone such as CentOS might be a good fit than.  It will
provide you with updates via yum as long as Red Hat is providing
updates for corresponding RHEL release.  You'll also be able to
install packages and dependencies in the same way.  I've never
attempted to use up2date with CentOS.  However, i thing I read
somewhere that it should be functional.  However it will simply use
yum as backend (so you might as well use it directly).  You might want
to recheck that.

However, there are still other things to consider that may sway you
towards buying RHEL.

There'll be delay (sometimes only hours, sometimes a day or two)
between Red Hat fixing a security related bug and releasing the
update, and that same update being available on the CentOS (and other
clones).  The clones have to wait until Red Hat releases the update,
than rebuild the RPM package.  Depending on the environment this might
or might not be an issue.

Maybe you don't need "hand-holding" tech support.  However, if you run
some propriatory software on the server, that vendor might
(rightfully) tell you your system is not supported because it doesn't
have RHEL sticker on it.  And refuse to troubleshoot something that is
bug in their software.  They tested and support their application
against binary that Red Hat provides.  Not somebody else.  Even it the
binary is built from exactly the same source.

If there's some obscure bug in the system (for example in kernel or in
one of applications) you might get better support if you are running
"the real thing".  If running CentOS, Red Hat can (again completely
rightfully) tell you "well, yeah, we made that SRPM that somebody else
compiled into binary RPM, but it's not really in our domain to
troubleshoot it becasue it's not our binary and we are not going to
troubleshoot something that somebody else might have changed even if
they claim they haven't changed it".  Usually they'll fix bugs even if
you run into them on the clones (if there's bug in the clone, there's
exactly the same bug in the original too).  However, if it's something
obscure that affects only you, it's not going to be exactly high
priority for them to fix it (they have other people running "the real
thing" lined up for fixes).

> Are those thing still available with ES?  What exactly are the
> implication of an annaul subscription?  This thing isn't going to
> shutdown if I don't resubscribe will it?

It's not going to shutdown itself.  But access to updates will be
terminated.  I'd check that license agreement too.  Maybe it says you
are supposed to shut it down ;-)