Reverse DNS question

Bob Smith bob at netprt.com
Wed Feb 8 20:41:43 UTC 2006

Hey Gurus,

I'm running RH9, and have not had much problem with setting up DNS, with
one exception:  getting the reverse DNS lookup to work properly from
outside of the box.  I have forward and reverse dns zone files, but
I think I'm missing something.  Both are listed in the named.conf file,
but when I use some of the web tools, or do a reverse lookup, it can't find
the domain.  Also, some mail servers are now looking for a domain tag
in place of the in-addra.arpa basic declaration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bob

Entry in named.conf:
zone "domain.com" {
        type master;
        file "domain.com.zone";
};

zone "1.100.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "1.100.192.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};

Here's a sample of the forward zone file (domain.com.zone)
------------------
$TTL 86400
domain.com.     IN      SOA     machine.domain.com.
webmaster.machine.domain.com (
                        2006010902 ; serial number
                        28800 ; refresh interval
                        7200 ; retry interval
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; time to live
                        )

;
; Name servers
;
domain.com.		IN	NS	machine.domain.com.
domain.com.		IN	A	192.100.1.2
machine.domain.com.	IN	A	192.100.1.2
ns1.domain.com.		IN	CNAME	machine.domain.com.
domain.com.		IN	MX	10	machine.domain.com.
; EOF

And here's the 1.100.192.in-addr.arpa.zone file
$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.domain.com. webmaster.machine.domain.com (
                        2006012102 ; serial number
                        28800 ; refresh interval