Red Hat Kernel explaination

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:40:45 UTC 2006

Greetings Mac

mac subbu wrote:

>We have a system Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5)
>kernel 2.4.21-32.

If you are running a 2.4.21-32 it is for certain that you can't be
running a Fedora Core release . Why ?

Fedora Core 2 , 3 , 4 use the 2.6 kernel branch and obviously
you are not using one of those . For example my Fedora Core
4 installation runs the 2.6.15-1 kernel .

Now Fedora Core 1 still used the 2.4 kernels but not
2.4.21 .  Fedora Core 1 was released after the
2.4.21 kernel so it runs a later version . I remember
myself running Redhat 7.3 ( Valhala ) with a 2.4.21
kernel .

Kind Regards,
  Kostas