Red Hat 4 ES File System Crashed!

Nikkilä Tommi tommi.nikkila at wmdata.fi
Tue Feb 21 05:54:06 UTC 2006

I can confirm that. I've had an RH system running from the same system disk since 2001 (updated the OS but still the same hard drive) and as it is an ordinary IDE drive and running at home I had no RAID (never had the need) nor an UPS (didn't need that one either). Some occasional power outages did nothing to the ext3 journaling system. When booted the system could run some checks and made some internal repairs but never, not once, did it fail. That is up until last week - when the hard drive crashed. The ext3 was still there and it tried to kick in - there were just too many errors for it to recover. And a few failed boot attempts later the drive died completely - even the MBR was gone...

-- Tommi