Skipping statemnts in .bashrc

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Wed Feb 22 16:22:53 UTC 2006

SFTP will not work if your session startup shell script writes anything
to stdout for non-interactive sessions. In your case, tcsh will be
executed regardless of the session type (interactive or not). So you
need to prevent execution of tcsh for non-interactive sessions. Because
SFTP starts a shell session in non-interactive mode (before starting
sftp-server) and SSH starts session in the interactive mode (unless you
give the command to be executed as an argument to the ssh client) you
could add another condition to your 'if' operator testing the type of
session. For example, in bash  in interactive mode PS1 is set and $-
includes i, allowing you to test this.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbech.com