Can I install Yum and repos?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jan 6 03:16:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:08:26AM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> On 06 January 2006 am 08:53, Ed Wilts wrote:
>  > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:19:24PM -0600, Hamilton, David wrote:
> > > I had yum installed when I used FC4 and I would like to use it in RHEL 4
> > > if possible. Can someone provide how-to info or point me to a link?
> >
> > You can install yum but you can't get RHEL 4 update binaries that way -
> > Red Hat only makes the updates available via up2date.
>
> If you administer a few RHEL4, you can set up your own local yum / apt server.
> The application I use is yam, its website is at
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/
>
> I believe you can download Red Hat's update using rsync (or http/ftp)?

You're wrong.  You can NOT download RHEL updates via rsync, httpd, or
ftp.  Unless you've purchased the Red Hat's proxy or satellite services,
the ONLY option you have is up2date (and even then, I don't know if the
first download is via up2date or not - I don't have the proxy or
satellite services).

> yam can be configured to download updates that way.  In fact I
> download CentOS update in that manner.

CentOS is a different distribution based on RHEL sources.  That's NOT a
RHEL release.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA