Can I install Yum and repos?

Leonard Soetedjo stelar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 03:57:27 UTC 2006

On 06 January 2006 am 11:16, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:08:26AM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> > >
> > > You can install yum but you can't get RHEL 4 update binaries that way -
> > > Red Hat only makes the updates available via up2date.
> >
> > If you administer a few RHEL4, you can set up your own local yum / apt
> > server. The application I use is yam, its website is at
> > http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/
> >
> > I believe you can download Red Hat's update using rsync (or http/ftp)?
>
> You're wrong.  You can NOT download RHEL updates via rsync, httpd, or
> ftp.  Unless you've purchased the Red Hat's proxy or satellite services,
> the ONLY option you have is up2date (and even then, I don't know if the
> first download is via up2date or not - I don't have the proxy or
> satellite services).

Ok, I realize it's a mistake to say that RHEL updates can be downloaded via
rsync/http/ftp.  But if you can download updates through up2date, then yam
can use it, am I right?  Yam's website states that it can support up2date,
but I'm not sure to what extend since I myself never try it before.

> > yam can be configured to download updates that way.  In fact I
> > download CentOS update in that manner.
>
> CentOS is a different distribution based on RHEL sources.  That's NOT a
> RHEL release.

Yes I understand it's different.  I'm just stating that that's what I did and
RHEL might be similar.  I guess I didn't say it out clearly :P

Regards,

Leonard Soetedjo