Can I install Yum and repos?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jan 6 04:20:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:57:27AM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> Ok, I realize it's a mistake to say that RHEL updates can be downloaded via
> rsync/http/ftp.  But if you can download updates through up2date, then yam
> can use it, am I right?  Yam's website states that it can support up2date,
> but I'm not sure to what extend since I myself never try it before.

Yes, yam and yum could use it.  However, you must realize (and perhaps
you already do) that if you subscribe 1 system to RHN, you must
subscribe all of your systems.  That's in the contract.  yam/yum could
prevent you from downloading the same patch many times which could be a
big benefit if you have a slow link.  You won't save any money, but
you'll save bandwidth.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA