A Shell Question

Tom Callahan callahant at tessco.com
Mon Jan 9 14:53:48 UTC 2006

you have the right idea. As far as getting your profile to load
correctly after executing tcsh...either run "source /etc/profile" or ".
/homedir/.tcshprofile" note the space after the period.

I am unaware of a different way to do this, besides defining it in
usermod. I guess you could create a wrapper of sorts to act as your
shell, and depening on the returned $HOSTNAME variable launch the
appropriate shell....not sure if this would work though. IE: write a
shell script that checks the variable, and then launches the appropriate
shell, name this script /bin/customlogin. Using usermod, set your
default shell to /bin/customlogin.

Again, I'm not sure if this would work, but it seems relatively valid...

Thanks,

Tom Callahan
TESSCO Technologies
(443)-506-6216
callahant at tessco.com

A real engineer only resorts to documentation when the keyboard dents on the forehead get too noticeable.