OpenLDAP + User Authentication

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Jan 30 21:44:46 UTC 2006

I have an LDAP server which I'm using to authenticate my users from.
Recently, another dept here put their own LDAP server in place with a
different set of users that may/may not be in my LDAP.

What I'd like to do is have my machines attempt to authenticate a user
from my LDAP, and if the user doesn't exist, have the LDAP refer to the
other dept's LDAP server.  Is this possible with LDAP?  If so, can
anyone point me to where I can read up on this?  I found a little
information on superior referrals, but no detailed information on how it
works.

Ryan