Top causes Floating Point Exception

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Thu Jul 20 15:00:12 UTC 2006

I have three RHEL2.1 servers running 2.4.9-e.27smp that will no longer
run top.  When I do, I get :

 [root at fsh1166db06 /]# top
  9:21am  up 263 days, 10:55,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Floating point exception
[root at fsh1166db06 /]#

Then my foreground colour changes from black to grey and my terminal
looses CR and NL capability.  I can reset the terminal using reset and
it's back to normal. Everything else works just fine.  I can't pinpoint
the last time it worked, but these are very static machines that have
been chugging along just fine.  I tried running top in batch mode hoping
to capture any messages to no avail and nothing about the error gets
written to syslog.

Anyone seen anything like this before?  I assuming a reboot will fix it,
but that's so Microsoft. All assistance appreciated.

Regards, Marshall