listing a huge amount of file on one file system

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jun 6 17:12:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:04:50AM -0500, Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> I wouldn't need it if it weren't for a problem that we were having with
> our Veritas Netbackup server not being able to backup this specific
> server.  So the Veritas support folks wanted to get a listing of the
> files in that directory.

You might want to tell netBackup to not sort the directory.  See this
posting:

http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/veritas-bu/2005-January/026439.html

I haven't tried it, but since you're talking to the Veritas folks
anyway, you can ask them about it.

I guess I don't need to tell you that fixing your application to not put
2M files in a single directory should be on your developer's todo
list... This falls in the category of "if it hurts, don't do that".

        .../Ed