{Q} how to setup sftp log

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Wed Jun 7 18:47:48 UTC 2006

All system logs are found in /var/log.  I think you will find that it is
set up quite nicely to find what it is you are looking for.
Since sftp and sshd run as the same service, they as well as other
things log into /var/log/secure.  You can grep that file til your
hearts content.

In addition, make sure your root: alias is setup properly, because if
it is, once a day you get a report from logwatch
which, among other things, gives you a nice report from /var/log/secure
which will allow you to see who/what is logging in
on a regular basis without having to actually attach to the machine.

Check out /etc/log.d/logwatch.conf for more details.

Wayner

>>> mianaya at edatatrace.com 06/07/06 11:37 am >>>

We just migrate out UNIX system to Redhat LINUX system
(AS 3.6).  I tried to find who use "sftp"
login to my server.  on SUN or AIX server I can use:

    last|grep ftp

This commanf does NOT show anything on LINUX.

Can anyone tell me :

1. where is log file for sftp or how to setup  sftp
log file?

2. any command similiar to "last" which can check
"sftp" login?

Thanks.

sudo last -f /var/log/secure
This message contains confidential information intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified
that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake,
please immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the
original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.

                                   FADLD Tag