Enabling quotas on an already existing file system

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Wed Jun 28 13:25:49 UTC 2006

Yes, it is possible to use quotacheck on the filesystem which is mounted
in read-write mode. However, you should be sure that nobody is
performing write operations on the filesystem during the quotacheck run.
If there were write operations during the quotacheck run then the
filesystem usage data gathered by quotacheck may be incorrect for the
files affected by the write operations. For example, the sizes of the
changed files may be counted incorrectly, or some files created during
quotacheck may not be counted toward the user/group quotas at all, etc.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com