vmware esx

JB epostliste at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 18:05:13 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, thierry itty <thierry.itty at besancon.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm having trouble using vmware's optimized network driver "vmxnet" with
> a fedora core 4 under vmware esx 2.5.2

You probably already know that FC is not officially a supported guest
OS under ESX.

> I compiled from source, even latest version, the module compiles and
> loads fine, the interface show up fine too, but the RX paquet count
> desperately stays at 0, meaning the interface can't receive anything

> any tip or advice ?

I've seen this a lot with Linux running on ESX (particularly on
non-supported systems). You should probably stick with vlance if
network bandwidth isn't critical.

You could manually try:

rmmod vmxnet
modprobe vmxnet

and manually set the IP-address.

Also, you might want to check out the VMware Discussions Forums.

--jb