sendmail domain name

Kishore Jalleda kjalleda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 18:53:33 UTC 2006

Assuming that your SMTP is sendmail, you need to masquerade your
domain so that sendmail would masquerade your FROM headers, right now
it will use user @ hostname format.
so to change that do the following,
1) open the file for editing
             /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

2) Look for a section which says
dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
dnl #
dnl #MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
uncomment the line and replace it with your domain name like this
       dnl #MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
       MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl

4) now rebuild the conf file with the mc file using
#make -C /etc/mail

5) now restart sendmail just to be sure, although you might not have
to do it ....

6) now send any email and it will have the from: filed to be user @
mydomain.com

7) also in order for  some ISP's to receive mail, your outgoing IP
address must be reversed mapped to your domain name , i am guessing
you have done that .

So thats it, your mail should be going through now

Kishore Jalleda