Problem changing local root password

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Thu Mar 16 13:42:27 UTC 2006

We are currently trying to change the local root password on 40 Linux
Redhat WS Version 3 machines but we keep getting the error below. Can
anyone help with this? Has anyone seen this before?

[root at linux etc]# passwd
Changing password for user root.
New password:
Retype new password:
RPC: Can't encode arguments
The password has not been changed on sunnisserver.
passwd: Failed preliminary check by password service
[root at linux etc]#

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.