Configuring SSH connections on RedHat ES 4

Harjinder Singh p_singhha at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 02:16:57 UTC 2006

Thanks for the help with SSH...i got it working with Putty.

What's the best way to establish a remote X-Windows session?

Thanks for any help provided.

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel at todo-linux.com> wrote: El Jueves 16 Marzo 2006 03:32, Harjinder Singh escribió:
> Can someone point me in the right direction with setting up my Red Hat ES 4
> to allow SSH connections so I can remotely connect and administer the Red
> Hat box via a client.
>
> What packages would I need to install?  What ports on the Red Hat box will
> I Need opened?   And what's the best client for a SSH connection.
>
> Appreciate any help provided.
>
> Thanks.

By default OpenSSH-server is installed and also it's started when the system
boot up, look at "netstat -putan | grep -i listen" output
Ssh is listen on port 22, by default, you can change that by editing
/etc/ssh/sshd_config at the bottom you will see the line:

Port 22

You can put instead of 22, whatever you want (look at /etc/services)

And about the client, OpenSSH-client is installed by default in most of Linux
distributions, you can check it out by doing "rpm -qa | grep -i
openssh-clients"

If you want to connect to a sshserver from a Windows machine, you can use
putty, which is free.

Cheers.