supported kernel versions by gcc 3.3.3

Sudhakar Manukonda mnsrsudhakar at yahoo.co.in
Sat Mar 18 15:23:10 UTC 2006

Thanks for the information That helped me lot...

    But actually iam looking for all (RedHat linux versions ) and their specific
  kernel versions which can be used with this gcc 2.96.

  Let me explain the problem in detail :

  The executables we give are compiled with gcc 2.96 ( for RedHat) .

  Customers may use different Redhat linux versions and with different kernel
  versions?

  We usually get reports from customers mentioning that - executables that
  we delivered (using gcc 2.96) giving problems with their kernel versions (or for some combination they are using)

  So I want to know which kernel version,and its respective linux (Redhat) versions are compatible with gcc 2.96

  It is also mentioned that RedHat Linux 7.0 also delivered with kernel 2.4.x so
  can I use executable generated with gcc 2.96 in this combination.

  I WILL APPRECIATE GREATLY IF U CAN GIVE ME A POINTER WHERE
  I CAN GET ALL THE INFORMATION

  Eg:(the information i need)
  RedHat Linux 7.2    gcc2.96       kernel versions 2.2.x ,2.4.x

  Please advice and clarify
  Regards
  sudhakar

Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> wrote:
  On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:09:55AM +0000, Sudhakar Manukonda wrote:
> We are using (Redhat 32bit ) and (Suse 64bit) machines .
>
> The g++ compiler version we use is "gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red
> Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-124.7.2)"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> We're using these compilers and we're not sure what versions of
> RedHat and SuSE they translate to.

Your answer is right there - Red Hat Linux 7.2.

> How or Where I can find the linux kernel that these gcc versions
> support can what versions of RedHat and SuSE does that kernel
> version translate into?

Red Hat Linux 7.2 originally shipped with kernel 2.4.7-10.
ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

Updates for the kernel for 7.2 ended at 2.4.20-28
ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

The last update for 7.2 was Dec, 2003. The release is ancient. 7.3
also shipped with gcc 2.96. Red Hat Linux 8 and 9 both shipped with
3.2. Fedora Core 1 finally shipped with gcc 3.3.2 on a 2.4.22 kernel.

By browsing archive.download.redhat.com and download.fedora.redhat.com,
you can determine all of the release information yourself for both the
original shipping versions and all of the updates.

I don't know anything about SuSe.

.../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE