Does grub support sw raid1?

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Tue Mar 21 15:50:05 UTC 2006

(crossposted to linux-raid at vger.kernel.org and redhat-list at redhat.com)
(apologies for this, but this should have be operational last week)

I installed Red Hat EL AS 4 on a HP Proliant DL380, and configured all
system devices in software RAID 1.  I added an entry to grub.conf to
fallback to the second disk in case the first entry fails.  At boottime,
booting from hd0 works fine.  As does booting from hd1.

Until I physically remove hd0 from the system.

I tried manually installing grub on hd1,
I added hd1 to the device.map and subsequently re-installed grub on it,
I remapped hd0 to /dev/cciss/c0d1 and subsequently re-installed grub
all to no avail.

I previously installed this while the devices were in slots 2 and 3.
The system wouldn't even boot then.  It looks as though booting from sw
RAID1 will only work when there's a valid device in slot 0.  Still
preferable over hw RAID1, but even better would be if this worked all
the way.

Is this working for anyone?  Any idea what I may have overlooked?  Any
suggestions on how to debug this?

Kind regards,

Herta