promise ultra 133 tx2 problems

Nate Mayotte nmayotte at charter.net
Tue Mar 28 22:11:13 UTC 2006

I have a system with two promise ultra 133 tx2's in it. For what ever reason it will not boot when I hook a hard drive up to these. I did the RHEL 4 install with the cards in the system, but no hard drives hooked up to them. Now when I reboot and plug a hard drive into one of them it gets to the grub screen then just stops. It doesn't seem frozen, since I can press the caps lock and numlock buttons and the lights go on and off respectivly, but it doesn't do anything. The screen says :

Booting 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (2.6.9-22.EL)'

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.EL ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x1644e8]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-22.EL.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x37f77000, 0x78694 bytes]

And then it just sits after that.

When I boot with no drives attached to the two controller cards it works fine. And when I do lspci it dectects both cards correctly. The RHEL4 install is on a sata thats hooked up to an onboard connector.  Also, I tried booting up into Knoppix with an ide drive connected to the pci card and it worked fine, and fdisk -l listed it as /dev/hde.  So I tried adding hde=noprobe to the grub line but that didn't help.  Also, I can't boot into rescue mode while any drives are connected to the pci cards, it just goes to a black screen and sits.  What do I need to do in order to get these to work??