Partition mounting under RHEL4

Bruce W. Martin redhat at vuiis.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 30 14:37:49 UTC 2006

I am having a problem with a new install of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
RHEL4 is required in this particular work instance.
This is a SuperMicro 1U server with the 2010S ZCR card option for the
two main SCSI drives. I have a SCSI RAID container on one of the SCSI
chanels and have a Fibre Channel Raid enclosure (EonStore) and an LSI
FC919X Fibre Channel Card.

I have the following entries in my /etc/fstab:

#/dev/sda                /raid/fc0               ext3
defaults,usrquota       1 2
#/dev/sdb                /raid/fc1               ext3
defaults,usrquota       1 2
#/dev/sdc                /raid/fc2               ext3
defaults,usrquota       1 2

#LABEL=FCraid0           /raid/fc0               ext3
defaults,usrquota       1 2
#LABEL=FCraid1           /raid/fc1               ext3
defaults,usrquota       1 2
#LABEL=FCraid2           /raid/fc2               ext3
defaults,usrquota       1 2

If I un-comment the /dev/sd* entries and try to mount the partitions
I get an error about a bad superblock.
If I un-comment the /dev/sd* entries and restart the server I get an
error about a bad superblock when it tries to mount the partitions.
If I un-comment the LABEL=FCraid* entries and try to mount the
partitions they mount just fine but Apache does not seem to recognize
directories on these mount points.
	( Apache is a different problem altogether, I think, but I though it
worth mentioning as a possible symptom of the problem.)
If I un-comment the LABEL=FCraid* entries and restart the server I
get an error that it cannot find partitions with those labels.

Originally /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc were formatted as xfs when the
labels were made. I reformatted them to ext3 when I found that Red
Hat completely dropped xfs in RHEL4 but I did not change the label
when I did the reformat.

These are 1.8TB partitions and about half full of data so I need to
be very careful not to do anything that will damage the integrity of
the data.

When using Red Hat 7.3 e LABEL=FCraid* entries in /etc/fstab work
just fine.

Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Martin
Systems Administrator, VSA