Re: Maximum amount of memory for redhat es3 x86 machine

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Bliss, Aaron wrote:

Does anyone know the maximum amount of ram that can be ran on a redhat
enterprise 3 server x86 platform?  I've installed 16 gb into a server;
the os sees all of the memory, however I receive a message on bootup
that says something to the tune of redhat es 3 only needs 8gb of memory;
I would think that all is okay, as the kernel is able to address all 16
gigs without any issue; free shows this:

            total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:      16149820     578972   15570848          0      19396
477496
-/+ buffers/cache:      82080   16067740
Swap:      4096048          0    4096048

The hard part is not getting Redhat to see the memory. The hard part is finding a motherboard that will let you put in more than 16gigs in it.

I have seen a few boards that would address more memory, but they were AMD64 boards. (And Linux runs great on those as well.)

--
"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa