FTP Timing Tests

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Thu May 11 10:48:05 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to test my network speeds and NICs, using various RedHat 3
and 4 systems.  The servers are vsftd, and the clients are the native
ftp client from RedHat.

When I do an FTP put or get, it doesn't seem to display the total time
and throughput speed at the end?  I noticed my Sun Solaris FTP clients
do that.  So I assume it's a function of the FTP client.  Is there a
way to make the RHEL FTP clients display the total time and speed at
the end?

I think it may do it if you enable hash printing, but I'd rather not
do that if I can avoid it.

Thanks
Shane