64-bit for redhat EL, please give advice

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon May 15 16:51:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 12:15:02PM -0400, Northrup, Wilson wrote:
> "64-bit Intel(r) Xeon(tm) processors supporting 64-bit extension and 64-bit
> Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems"
>
> Please note that the DL360 has been using Intel Xeon DP processors which
> support Intel's EM64T extensions for quite some time now. This is not a
> recent development.  The DL380 mentioned elsewhere in this thread also uses
> the same processors.  We have a few hundred of each.

Learn something new every day...

So since we're on a Linux list, which cpu flags tell you that it's the
64-bit CPU in there?  I know we've got a bunch of recent DL380 systems
installed and I'm wondering if they should have the 64-bit distros
installed.

> Since there are also some comments about Opteron, I will tell you that the
> DL385 _Opteron_ based system _blows_the_doors_off_ the DL360/DL380 Xeon's
> for very high percentage of our apps in both short and long modes (32 or
> 64bit modes that is...)   There are a few apps we have where the Opterons
> are not faster or optimal for what we do, but there are not many.

We're buying the new DL385 systems now.  You're right - they fly.  Even
for Windows :-)

Thanks,
        .../Ed
--