About Shutdown Log Messages

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Sun May 21 04:55:48 UTC 2006

Another thought is this:

Usually, an account must have root authority to run the shutdown/init/halt
processes, anyhow.

Assuming that your regular users don't, already, have root access to the
system(s) in question, you could restrict access to those commands via
sudo.

Commands issued via sudo are logged in /var/log/secure, and appear
something like this:

May 15 06:00:02 burgers sudo:  mburger : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/mburger ;
USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members somecommand

On Fri, May 19, 2006 2:20 pm, Fábio Augusto wrote:
> Hi Emilio,
>
> Thanks a lot, I think it will help a lot! :)
>
> Regards!
>
> 2006/5/19, Emilio Casbas <ecasbas at unav.es>:
>>
>> Fábio Augusto wrote:
>> > Good Morning List,
>> >
>> > I would like to check if there is a way to create a log for the
>> > shutdown/init/halt command, where every time the machine is restarted
>> or
>> > halted, I can check which user has submitted the turn off command.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> Good Afternoon :)
>>
>> Why do you want create the log if they've already exist?
>>
>> #man last
>> #man wtmp
>>
>> Thanks
>> Emilio C.
>>

>> --

> Fábio Augusto Miranda Martins
> Fone: (11) 6202-3897 / (11) 6987-0590
> Cel: (11) 8564-0862
> E-mail: fabiomirmar at gmail.com

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit