need help about sendmail

nilesh vaghela nileshj.vaghela at gmail.com
Fri May 26 09:46:39 UTC 2006

try this.

http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/copy-out.html

 Copying all mail to Archive *The following is probably made obsolete by this
<http://www.technoids.org/procmailfilter.html>.[note added 13July2005*

One of the most common questions on comp.mail.sendmail is "How do I get
sendmail to archive copies of outgoing mail". This question is usually left
unanswered, as the more influential members of the sendmail community think
that is an improper action. They are apparently thinking of an ISP snooping
on its customers. I expect the more likely case is a business such as a
brokerage which is legally required to keep copies of correspondence, for
understandable reasons.

Some mailers make this easy. Postfix has "bcc: always" option that solves
this problem with a single request.

Anthony C Howe has posted milter-bcc
<http://www.milter.info/milter-bcc/index.shtml> which appears to duplicate
the Postfix ability in Sendmail. See also
Synonym<http://www.modulo.ro/synonym/>from Modulo Consulting.

The Sendmail FAQ does offer three suggestions for doing this, but except for
one, they require extensive modification to sendmail, and it is clear that
they are not offered in the expectation that they will be implemented.

In the FAQ, and in the newsgroup, it is also suggested that Procmail can do
this. Most people making this suggestion are merely confused, since if you
install procmail as documented, it only sees incoming mail. Since it never
sees outgoing mail, it isn't going to be able to save copies. However it
turns out that there is a way to install procmail to process outgoing mail.
I haven't tried it myself, but I did track down the available instructions,
and have copied them below. There is obviously room for someone to actually
try to document this in simple terms for sendmail users of less than guru
status. As a start, one could consult this
<http://www.technoids.org/procmailfilter.html>. [Note added September 2005 -
Procmail scanning of outbound mail has apparently been added to Sendmail, if
not to the FAQ. See here <http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailers.html>.

The sendmail FAQ includes a reference to a comp.mail.sendmail posting using
only * 33AA593A.4B701C3F at syntegra.nl * for the citation. While some users
might know to go to the Google Groups "Advanced Search" page, others may
not. I expect this page will come up for anyone searching in the Google web
engine for that message-id, thus letting the uninitiated see the posting
referred to.

Viewing message <33AA593A.4B701C3F at syntegra.nl>