boot problem

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 09:23:49 UTC 2006

Hi ,,

  thnks for ur quick reply

  i have another 2 red hat servers 8 running and workin fine so i ftp the grep file from one server and it still give me the same problem

  the grep version on the redhat server is
  grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1

  Appreciate your help

  Thanks and Regards

  simon

Marq <vikramns at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi sylvan

If you r sure that your "grep" program is corrupted then you can reinstall
the grep package

I am not sure about the package name

but this command will help in finding the package name and version

rpm -qf `which grep`

now download and update the package,

On 06/11/06, sylvan dacounha wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> in my earlier mail i had mentioned that i am not able to boot redhat
> linux 9 cause it gives segmentation error
>
> here is the complete list of error messages
>
> Welcome to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 70: 34 Segmentation
> Fault LC_ALL=C grep -q "RED HAT" /etc/redhat_release
>
> Press ' I ' to enter interactive startup
>
> Mounting proc filesystem OK
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 90: 41 Segmentation fault LC_ALL=C grep-q
> /initrd/proc/mounts
>
> Setting Clock OK

> Setting Hostname XXXX OK
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 182: 65 segmentation fault LC_ALL=C grep -iq
> "nousb" /proc/cmdline 2 > /dev/null
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 182:67 segmentation fault LC_ALL = C grep -q
> "usb" /proc/devices2 > /dev/null
>
> n then the system hangs
>

> i have 2 other redhat linux 8 running and workin fine.
>
> if i boot in in rescue mode n run the grep command it gives me
> segmentation fault
>
> if only grep is corrupted from where cd i download the grep file as i
> have no red hat linux 9 server only red hat linux 9 CDs
>
> appreciate if u cd help me
>

> Thanks and Regards
>
> Simon

Thanks and Regards