boot problem

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 15:18:31 UTC 2006

Thanks Mark.

  bye the way i want to tell u that this redhat linux machine is running a mailserver + secondary dns and a webserver n is behind a firewall which allows only port 53, 80 and 25 n 110 ..
  could still this machine could be hacked .

  also i did ftp the grep file from the other redhat 8 server but the problem was the same

  appreciate ur help n guidance.

  should i reload redhat 9 from CD's or is there any other way.
  will the sata n configuration files be lost if i jus reload redhat from CD's

  Thanks and Appreciate

  Regards

  Simon

mark <mroth at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
  Simon,

sylvan dacounha wrote:

> but there is no hardware problem since tried with new memory and also
> i swapped the hard disk to an perfectly identical same mode another
> machine
>
> the same error occur.
>
> the grep file was corruped .
>
> but wanna know how will i get a new grep file as this was the only RH
> 9 machine i had. other 2 machines running redhat 8.

First, if grep's corrupted, then it would seem as though you've been hit
with an attack, and I'd strongly recommend reinstalling the kernel and
basic utilities, at the very least, then get a new copy of chkrootkit,
if you don't have one on a write-protected floppy, and run that.

Second, as a side note, I'd recommend that you upgrade or migrate your
RH8 servers to something a little newer. The only thing I'm running
anything that old (actually, 7.3), is on a hardened firewall/router box
at home that has *nothing* on it except what it needs to do its job. I
would not be running anything else on something that old, if for no
other reason than bugfixes and known vulnerabilities that have been fixede.

mark