apache selinx problem

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Mon Nov 6 18:11:16 UTC 2006

I am having a perplexing apache problem, probably caused by incorrect
permissions on files and/or directories.

I three web servers. One does not run on a server that uses SELinux. The other
two do. One of them executes scripts just fine. The other does not. This is the
error I get:

[Mon Nov 06 12:54:45 2006] [error] [client 10.1.5.58] (13)Permission denied:
exec of '/home/httpd/cgi-bin/aa_geocentric.pl' failed
[Mon Nov 06 12:54:45 2006] [error] [client 10.1.5.58] Premature end of script
headers: aa_geocentric.pl

The script is located in /home/httpd/cgi-bin. [The same script is located on the
other two servers, and works just fine.] This is what I get when looking at
permissions.

# ll -Z /home
drwxr-xr-x  apache   AA       system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t httpd

# ll -Z /home/httpd
drwxrwxr-x  apache   AA       system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_script_exec_t cgi-bin

# ll -Z /home/httpd/aa_geocentric.pl
-rwxrwxr-x  apache   AA       system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_script_exec_t
aa_geocentric.pl

"AA" is my department's user's group.

I can log into the server and run the script from the command line just fine.

Html seems to render just fine. The problem is with cgi scripts. I've tried UNIX
shell scripts, and I get the same problem.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

TIA,
Bill Tangren