How to set the prompt os it shows current working directory

Jeremy Eder jeder at invision.net
Thu Nov 9 00:44:14 UTC 2006

PS1="\u@\h: \w "
case `id -u` in
      0) PS1="${PS1}# ";;
      *) PS1="${PS1}$ ";;
esac

Best Regards,
Jeremy Eder
UNIX Administrator
INVISION.COM
631.543.1000 x5334

________________________________

From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Dave Martini
Sent: Wed 11/08/2006 18:42
To: Red Hat List
Subject: How to set the prompt os it shows current working directory

How do I set the prompt in RHEL 4 so that it shows the current working
directory when you login and whenever you change directories. When I
initially log in it doesn't show me the home directory of the oracle
account. When I cd to /u01 it shows that in the prompt and then when I
cd to /u01/app it shows that but when I then cd to oracle it doesn't
show it.

I have this command in my .bash_profile is this correct?

export PS1="[\h:\w]$ "

Thanks,
Dave Martini
LLNL

[root@~]# su - oracle
[ct:~]$
[ct:~]$ pwd
/u01/app/oracle
[ct:~]$ cd /u01
[ct:/u01]$ cd app
[ct:/u01/app]$ cd oracle
[ct:~]$
[ct:~]$
[ct:~]$
[ct:~]$ more .bash_profile
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
         . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH
unset USERNAME
export PS1="[\h:\w]$ "