boot problem

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 15:42:09 UTC 2006

Thanks for ur reply,

  Let me be little clear in explaining the problem to u.

  I have redhat 9 installed on machine A for ex which was workin fine and sudenly when i reboot the other day it refused to boot giving me segmentation fault.

  the things i have done are

  I moved the HDD to another identical machine (same model say machine B ) and it gave me the same problem.

  so obviously the problem was either linux OS being curropted or HDD problem

  i can use linux in rescue mode and all partitions are mounted and all the data is fine

  now i tried to upgrade redhat 9 when everything goes fine until the screen where it shows me the packeges being copied .
  its starts with lernel packafe the first one and after completing it .. it jus stops . does not go forward.

  i even tried deleting all files in the /boot partition but same problem.
  now i was think of formating the boot filesystem only and resinstall linux again..

  will it affect the data on my other partitions..

  or apprecite if u cd sugest me some other step

  thnks and appreciate

  regards

  simon

David Tonhofer <d.tonhofer at m-plify.com> wrote:
  sylvan dacounha wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> in my earlier mail i had mentioned that i am not able to boot redhat
> linux 9 cause it gives segmentation error
>
> [...]
> i have data which i dont wanna loose .

Hi,

I suggest running memtest86 (from a bootable CD) on your machine
and/or installing Fedora Core on a new machine, then move your existing
harddisk to the
newly installed machine and read your data off the disk on there.

Regards,

-- David