delay after ssh'ing into a server

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Fri Oct 6 18:00:04 UTC 2006

El Viernes, 6 de Octubre de 2006 17:18, Bill Tangren escribió:
> Stephen Carville wrote:
> > Bill Tangren wrote:

> >> [root at eunomia ~]# ssh -vv bjt at aa
> >> OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
> >> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> >> debug1: Applying options for *
> >> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> >> debug1: Connecting to aa [10.1.5.93] port 22.
> >> debug1: Connection established.
> >> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
> >> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
> >> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> >> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> >>
> >> Then the 30 second pause... then
> >
> > Still looks like name resolution problem.  Just for S&G try putting yoru
> > machine and IP address in /etc/hosts and make sure yout host line in
> > nsswitch.conf includes files.  AKA:
> >
> > hosts:    files dns
>
> I already had "hosts:    files dns" in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and I added
>
> 10.1.5.154	eunomia.usno.navy.mil	eunomia
>
> to /etc/hosts. I then restarted network just to make sure the hosts file
> was reread. No change. There is still a 30 second delay.

Hi Bill.

I got similar problem some weeks ago. With similar I mean so much more time
when triying to log into a server trough ssh. Neither the same distro nor DNS
problem.

After changing thousands of things of sshd_config and stuff, I was still on
troubles. Finally, I realized that real problem was the load of that machine,
it was at least 10 or 15, so I kill the process (apache one) and everything
went normal.

I supposse you to know what your average load is, but, these are my 2
cents :-)
Greetings

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.