New NICs coming up as devXXXX not ethX

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Thu Oct 19 19:25:01 UTC 2006

Just went through this myself. Ironically also on a dell server.

After trying several variations of things this works consistently:

1.Remove the New NIC
2. Reboot let kudzu detect the removal and delete configutation
3. Reinstall the NIC
4. Let kudzu recognize the NIC and Setup when prompted. The setup script
will assign proper ethX device names.

--
Jim Canfield, CISSP
Tulsa Spine and Specialty Hospital