access logging for xinetd

Jay Berryman jay.berryman at sitel.com
Fri Sep 22 21:48:52 UTC 2006

Sorry about the confusion.  After looking at what I wrote, I need to correct
myself anyway. Twist and spawn are options that you can use in
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.  The spawn option can run a background
process that can be used to log connection attempts.  Twist can echo a
message back to connecting clients.  For example:

ALL : 192.168.0. : spawn /bin/echo/ `date` %c %d >> /var/log/connections.log

This would cause any connections from the 192.168.0.0/24 network to be
logged.

in.telnet.d : 192.168.0. : twist /bin/echo "Connection Refused"

This would echo a "Connection Refused" message back to users trying to
telnet to your machine from the 192.168.0.0/24 network.

Jay Berryman, RHCT, RHCE

addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, or the
authorized agent of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
received this communication in error, please notify SITEL immediately by
telephone at 402.963.6001 and delete the message and any attachments from
your system. Thank you for your cooperation.