syncronize with NTP server failed

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Mon Sep 25 12:39:15 UTC 2006

There are two clocks on a machine.  The system clock, controlled by the OS,
and the hardware clock, controlled by the BIOS when the machine boots.  Set
both clocks to the same value.

First set the system clock using NTP.  Then set the hardware clock with -
/sbin/hwclock --systohc --utc

This will set the hardware clock to the same value as the system clock.  Run
NTP on a regular schedule and check that the hardware clock is keeping
proper time.