RHEL 5 yum group installation options not working

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 02:41:16 UTC 2007

Vivek Gite wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Under RHEL 4, I can use up2date command to fetch packages from RHN:
> up2date -i "@GROUP-NAME"
>
> To install Compatibility Arch Support group I can type:
> up2date -i "@Compatibility Arch Support"
>
> However same command using yum is not working
> yum grouplist – no output :(
> yum groupinstall 'GROUP' – group not found
> yum groupinstall "@Compatibility Arch Support" - group not found
> yum groupinstall "Compatibility Arch Support"   - group not found
>
> So my question is how do I install package group using RHEL 5.x yum
> command?
>

> --
> Vivek

On my RHEL5 system, registered to RHN ( And running as root ) :

# yum grouplist
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
rhel-i386-server-fastrack 100% |=========================| 1.2 kB
00:00
rhel-i386-server-5        100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
00:00
rhel-i386-server-suppleme 100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
00:00
rhel-i386-server-vt-5     100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
00:00
rhn-tools-rhel-i386-serve 100% |=========================| 1.2 kB
00:00
Installed Groups:
   Office/Productivity
   Editors
   System Tools
   Text-based Internet
   Virtualization
   GNOME Desktop Environment
   Network Servers
   Games and Entertainment
   X Window System
   Graphics
   Printing Support
   Mail Server
   Server Configuration Tools
...,

If there is _no_ output we have something wrong with yum. Run with
increased debuging:

yum -d10 grouplist

Also is yum working at all?

yum list installed