Query regarding the owner and group of a file.

Ravi R.S raviraj at sasken.com
Wed Apr 18 05:22:16 UTC 2007

Hi,
I have an C++ application(logger.exe) running on my linux machine. This
application logs
all the information to a log file named trace.log. The owner and the group
of the files are as follows.

File name                         owner         group   user
=========                         =====         =====   ====
C++ application (logger.exe)      root          root    root
trace.log                         root          root    root

The C++ application(logger.exe) and trace.log are having root as owner and
root as group.
When I open this trace.log with vi editor(redhat linux kernel 2.6) and save
during when the
application is running and edit it, the application stops logging to the
file no more logs are logged into the trace.log file even the application is
running. Why this behaviour?

But I created another user named test and changed the owner and group as
follows.

File name                         owner         group  user
=========                         ====          =====  ====
C++ application (logger.exe)      test          test   test
trace.log                         test          users  test

Then log file continues to log even after editing the log file with vi
editor.

NOTE:But I want my application to run when the owner, group and user for
both the files as root.

Can somebody give pointers on this. Your comments will be appriciated.

Regds,
Ravi
SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
-------------------------
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. In
case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are
requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message
shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication
Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of
viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email